So I promised to try posting things more often, and here's some stuff! I made this little guy a few months ago. He was my second 'felty' experiment (after the dog for my sister and before little Harry). I wanted to make a dragon that looked a bit like the 'Terrible Terror' from How to Train Your Dragon. I had found some wonderful scaly looking felt at Michaels and thought that it would work perfectly. I did some quick sketches of how I wanted him to look and then tried to figure out some sort of a pattern off of those to cut the pieces out. There was a lot of trial and error involved, but this is what the main 'body shell' (for lack of a better term...) ended up looking like. I made sure to give him some lovely bulgy eyes and twisty looking horns as well!
You can really notice all of the nerdy things that I have in my closet in this picture... Superman is gettin' his creep on.
The little white pins in his back were to mark where his wings were supposed to go.
I put a little armature inside of him so that he would stand up and I could put him in dragony poses.
Then he was given the power of flight. One wing at a time.
And a lower jaw as well! I left the end of the 'snout' open so that I could stuff the head once the neck was sowed onto the lower jaw. I could push the fabric in a bit and it made it look like he had a hilarious little mouth. I quite enjoyed it.
Here's more of the armature inside. And look, he has little toes too!
Voila! The finished Dragon! Also, my pitiful attempt to create a plain 'backdrop' with one of my sketchbooks....