The drunken stumble turned out to be way more difficult than I thought that it would be. I did some video reference on myself pretending to stumble drunkenly around my backyard but my mentor Pete suggested that I find actual drunk reference so that my animation wouldn't feel fake or forced. I won't post my video reference because no one really needs to see me pretending to be drunk, but here's the video that I ended up using for my actual reference. Thank goodness for alcohol and hilarious relatives at weddings!
I then did some thumbnails of poses from the video reference (both mine and the other video combined).
The next week we had to block out our shot
My first pass of blocking was kind of all over the place so I tired to tone that down a little in my next pass.
We then had to move into the dreaded spline stage. Where the evil spline creatures destroy any bit of timing that you may have had with your blocking. It looked gross...
In the last week of the assignment we had to do a refining pass on it to make it look more like a drunken stumble and less like I was drunk while animating it.
It definitely turned out better, but I still need to work on the timing a LOT. Right now it's still moving too fast. I do like the overlap in the head/upper part of body though. It turned out better than I thought that it would. This assignment was also done in the middle of my crazy radio contest so I probably didn't spend as much time on it as I probably should have...