Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The End of a Magical Journey

So it's been awhile since I last posted something up here, but I've been pretty busy!  I started class 3 at Animation Mentor (I'll write more about it in a bit) and I've been finishing up some side projects and starting new ones...even though I don't have the time for them, hahaha.  My latest project was in celebration of the very last Harry Potter movie.  I, being the nerdy person that I am have dressed up in costume for just about every Harry Potter related event that I've gone to be it book release, movie release or other things.  I had made a set of gryffindor robes a couple of years ago when I went on a Harry Potter fan trip in England/Scotland and had been wearing them each week when I went to see the re-releases of the past 7 films leading up to the last one.  Seeing as how this was the last movie I wanted to create a special costume, one that was very unlikely to be worn by someone else waiting in line.  I decided to be....Buckbeak.




I have always enjoyed Buckbeak and it seemed like it would be just ridiculous enough to suit me.  I made the head out of fun foam and felt (my two weapons of choice) as well as some extra padding and acrylic paint.  Here are some pictures of my sister modeling the unfinished head.



Luckily my sisters umbrella had broken earlier on sunday (there was no sabotage involved, I swear!) so I was able to take it apart and use it for the main structure of the wings.


I cut feathers out of felt and hot glued them together.


After all of the feathers were cut out I glued them to the umbrella leftovers.


I glued a big piece of white felt over the top to cover the umbrella parts as well.

To make the costume even more ridiculous I decided to make a little tiny Harry to ride on my back.


Here's his head pre-hair and body.



And here he is with hair and a body!  He also kind of looks like he's wearing a wifebeater...




I made him a shirt and tie so that he would look a little more presentable.


 Through the wonders of Velcro he got to ride on my/buckbeaks back!


He peeked over my shoulder.  His little pipe cleaner glasses look so cute on him!



We met a very tall Hagrid in the lobby.


Harry put on my friend Keaira's wig and looked a little like Sally Jessy Raphael.


There were special Harry Potter 3D glasses!  We were twins.


My friend and I tried to re-create the poster of Harry and Voldemort.


It didn't work so well...


Probably because I have a nose.


This is my 'battle of Hogwarts' face.


We also joined in on Pooh's grand adventure!



I really really loved the movie and I think that it was a great end to the series.  McGonagall was pretty bad-ass in it which I especially enjoyed.  She reminded me a bit of Angela Lansbury in Bedknobs and Broomsticks!  I came very close to crying at certain parts of the movie, but I didn't end up crying for a straight 45 minutes like some of the people that I went with, hahaha.
I am definitely sad that there will be no more Harry Potter movies or books as they have been such a big part of my life.  I will always have the book to re-read or the movies to re-watch though, so that the magic can live on forever!  I can also just run over to the Dollarama and buy some sparklers to have a wizard fight as well...Good times.






2 comments:

  1. Why thank you! I really need to stop making extra projects for myself though...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete